We are all creatures of habit, both good and bad. One of the best things that we can do to ensure that we are properly caring for ourselves is to establish daily morning habits. Healthy morning habits help to lay the foundation for a productive, successful day. Now, do morning habits prevent things from going sideways? No, but they do help establish a foundation that you can go back to throughout the day when things get tough. Let’s dive in and talk about 3 morning habits you need to improve your day.
Start With Movement
That’s right! Let’s get moving. Last year I went in for my annual exam. As I stood on the scale I realized that this would be an interesting visit. My activity level and eating habits had suffered due to a combination of poor habits and some unexpected life events. My physician was very kind when he said, “Felicia you might want to add some moderate activity to your day. That was confirmed when my bloodwork showed that I was prediabetic and my cholesterol was slightly elevated.
Something had to change! I decided to start back exercising. I knew what to do but it was a matter of doing it.
Strategies to get you moving:
- Go to bed on time. Getting enough sleep will help you get up the next morning and it is an essential part of the recovery process.
- Designate the time, frequency, and goals for your workout.
- Set your workout clothes out the night before.
- Choose a workout routine that you will ENJOY doing. I am currently using the Nike training app and the varying levels of intensity, type, and length of time are great for all participants.
- Designate an accountability partner. For me, that is my husband and he has no problem telling me to get up and workout!
I want to encourage you. You can do it! My goal for working out is to simply be healthy and lower my cholesterol and chances for Type II diabetes. Determine what’s best for you in conjunction with your physician and let’s get to work.
Start with gratitude
A great morning habit to establish is to start each day with a heart of gratitude. Gratitude is a mindset and your thoughts dictate your words which determine your actions. So why is it so important to start the day with gratitude? Gratitude is directly related to a positive outlook on life. Positive thinking has been shown to decrease stress, increase overall wellness, and productivity. This is a win-win but it starts when you wake up.
Strategies for creating a heart of gratitude:
- Start a gratitude journal
- Write down one thing that you are grateful for every day.
- Read what you have written and the end of the day before you go to bed.
- Look for ways to serve others
- Fill your day with positive words (podcasts, music, scripture, quotes)
Decide to create a morning habit of filling your heart with gratitude. We can all think of one thing to be grateful for, even if it’s just the opportunity to see another day. Let us not take for granted the things that can be easily taken away. Life is a gift and we get to choose how we live it!
Start with quiet time
A morning habit that I absolutely cannot live without is my quiet time. This isn’t your ordinary quiet time but this is time with my heavenly Father. It is during this time that I am able to pray, read the Bible, and just be still. It is very rare that throughout the day we are afforded the opportunity to be still. Whenever I am able to sit, think, and meditate on the Word of God it allows me to be recharged to face the day! It also reminds me that I’m not alone and He is with me through all my ups and downs.
Tips for establishing a quiet time:
- Allot an extra 15 minutes for your morning routine
- Set your alarm clock the night before
- Choose a space that is comfy, inviting and quiet
- Talk (pray) to the Lord about every and anything
- Read a verse, devotional passage
- After you read allow yourself time to think, process and pray again
There is no magic formula for your quiet time. The goal is for you to spend time with the one who created you, loves you, and has a special purpose for your life. Ready, set, get quiet!
I hope that these three morning habits will create a routine that will create a sense of well-being for your mind, body and soul. As busy women we need to foster an environment that is life-given and by incorporating these morning habits you are guaranteed to do just that.
Hi friends! My name is Felicia Tucker and I am one half of The Ford Girls blog. By day, I am the Director of Women’s Basketball at Georgia State. And in my spare time I like to blog about my journey through life as wife, mother, career woman and woman of faith. I hope to inspire and encourage you to live in each stage of your life with intention, grace and love!