Money… something that I’m sure every single one of us thinks about at least once on a daily basis. Whether you’re strategizing new ways to earn it, making new plans to spend it or save it; money is on all of our minds (some more than others of course). What if I told you that your perception about money has a direct effect on how you earn, spend, and save it? Further, if you want to improve your finances you have to start by reprogramming your money mindset.
What’s a Money Mindset
A money mindset is pretty much the attitude you have towards money. Simple right? For most of us, our pasts may have shaped our money mindset far before we even knew what a money mindset even was.
There are two types of mindsets you can have when it comes to money; scarcity or abundance. A scarcity mindset views money as being…scarce (lol obvious much?) If you have a scarcity mindset, you often feel that you never have enough money. You often steer away from living your life in a way you truly want to because you feel that you don’t have the money to do so. When you operate with a scarcity mindset, you allow money to have power over you, you’re a slave to it because you don’t think you deserve it.
On the other hand, when you have an abundance mindset, you have a much more positive attitude towards money. In your eyes, you have more than enough money for your needs. You see money as attainable and believe that it is your responsibility to earn it.
Why You Need to Reprogram Your Money Mindset
If you find yourself living to paycheck to paycheck, unable to save, or find your heart racing at the mere thought of money – you have a scarcity mindset. In order to make a change in your life, you need to shift your mindset. The way you view money may be one of the sole reasons why you feel like you’re broke all of the time.
Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies and we don’t even realize it. Think about it. Our actions are motivated by our beliefs. For example, you may be telling yourself that you don’t make enough money right now to be saving for your future, so, as a result you don’t save and continue to feel bad about it! If you don’t believe something is possible, it’s not going to happen for you.
If you want to attain true wealth, shifting from a “poor person’s” mentality to one of abundance is a must. When you do so, you’ll be able to improve your relationship with money (read my post “How to Improve Your Relationship with Money”), make better financial decisions, and overcome future challenges with more ease. Believe me, when you reprogram your money mindset, you will begin to change your actions which will lead to a change in your results.
How to Reprogram Your Money Mindset
- Take stock and appreciate what you already have – Most of the time, we already have what we need (food, clothes, shelter). It’s important to know the difference between what a need and want is and give gratitude for what you have and how far you’ve come.
- Practice positive money mantras and affirmations – Put those positive vibes out into the universe! As with anything in life, when you put positive vibes out into the world, you get that back. Why not apply that to your finances as well?
- Assess and adjust your spending habits – It’s important to understand how your scarcity money mindset has affected your spending habits. Are you an emotional spender? Nip that in the bud ASAP!
- Give your money a purpose – In other words, flip the script and make your money work for you.
Check out these great reads to help!
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth – Jen Sincero
- Think & Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
- Worthy: Boost Your Self- Worth to Grow Your Net Worth – Nancy Levin
What are your tips for shifting your money mindset? Let me know your thoughts below!