Dating Tips

4 Things to do When You’re on a Bad Date…

As if trying to meet someone that you’re attracted to, compatible with, and interested in isn’t hard enough…add a couple bad dates into the mix and you may want to throw the towel in on dating altogether. After a bad date, you start thinking to yourself “Maybe being single isn’t that bad after all” or “Why me?!” Trust me, I get it! I, myself am no stranger to the bad date. In fact, I can remember one quite vividly that sent me home in tears by the end of the night (I’m highly emotional, don’t judge me).  Looking back on it now, I definitely would’ve handled that situation differently. But hey, you live and you learn right? If that horrible date never happened, I wouldn’t be able to share some of my knowledge with you!

Let’s be honest, most dates don’t necessarily start out bad. There are a ton of factors that could make a date take a turn for the worst. Maybe the attraction is not what you expected, the conversation is just as bland as ever, you two have opposing political views, maybe too much liquor was consumed, or there’s confusion about who should pay the bill. Whatever it is, don’t beat yourself up about it! It happens to the best of us.

Don’t let a shitty date turn you completely off. Dating can be really fun and enjoyable if you allow it to! There’s a beauty in being able to bounce back from a setback. So if you ever find yourself on a bad date, here are some things you can do to help you get through it:

1. Be sure to have an open mind.

Ok maybe this person isn’t what you expected (physically, intellectually), or perhaps they’re wearing one of the ugliest shirts you’ve ever seen. I get it, first impressions are important. But people are prone to miss the mark and not make the best judgment calls. Try to be a little understanding and take the unnecessary pressures off the date.

2. Keep the conversation going.

Try to avoid awkward silences. Really make anattempt to get to know the person you’re dating. It’s ok to throw a few jokes in there, or have a drink to calm your nerves.

3. Have a backup/escape plan.

Ok if the vibe just isn’t there and this person is just freaking you out, you have every right to end the night early! Maybe they are too flirty, too touchy, or just too aggressive. If your intuition is screaming at you to run for the hills, it may be the move you should make. Your safety is the number one priority here! One thing that I used to do is text a friend or family member before my date telling them who I’d be with and where we were going (you can even make it better by sending a drop-pin of your location) just in case of an emergency.

4. Try ending on a good note.

If you are fully aware that the date is a lost cause but you still want to get out of the date without seeming mean, you could set a deadline. Tell them you have another engagement to attend or that something suddenly came up. No harm, no foul. Just try leaving on a high note. You never know, in another time or place you two could end up having an amazing date and possible future together!

Tina
    March 23, 2018 at 12:43 pm

These are great tips. I think everyone is a serial killer so i definitely used to let at least three friends know where i was going. I would sneak a picture of his license plate if he was driving too! 🤣

Toni
    March 23, 2018 at 2:50 pm

Lol. I’m all for this! You HAVE to keep it positive until it’s time to leave. Unless it’s a REALLY bad experience, then I’m all about positivity and taking a sucky date with stride.

Courtney
    March 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Let me just tell you, I’m in a committed relationship and I love my man… but dating was fun! Lol. While I encountered a few bad dates, I had a lot of good ones for the most part. I think it’s definitely important to keep an open mind.. and another one of my favorite tips is “no expectations, no disappointments”. That got me through a lot. Anyway, great read, per usual.

Courtney

Jeff Helms
    March 24, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Very smart tips. Dating isn’t like it used to be, this will help get us back there. Be positive and hopefully until the end of the date.

Journa Ramirez
    March 26, 2018 at 10:45 am

These tips are very helpful. I should share this with someone who’s still on the process of dating!

March 26, 2018 at 12:06 pm

These are great tips. I particularly like the idea of having an escape plan, texting someone your location is a really good idea to keep safe but also if you need someone to bail you out.

Nailil
    March 26, 2018 at 4:49 pm

These are great tips, because a bad date can happen to anyone, it is good to know how to act.
    Nailil

Lyosha
    March 26, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Nice tips! Backup plan is always a great idea!

Nati
    March 27, 2018 at 8:14 am

Great tips! I have never dated someone as a grownup, so I wouldn’t know… I met my husband when I was 17, lol But That tip sending your location to a friend is great, the world has become a dangerous place and you never know who the person next to you really is! Safety first!!

Lenka Dvorakova
    March 28, 2018 at 2:18 pm

This are some great tips. I am very happy to found my men. I know bad dates can be very frustrating.

kumamonjeng
    May 7, 2018 at 6:41 am

I think these are such a good advise for dating, have an open mind and less judgment for the first date. We really need some times to get to know the person true self.