Personal Growth & Development

3 Ways to Eliminate Distractions From Your Life

Eliminate Distractions

Are you where you want to be in life? If you answered, no, are you taking the necessary steps that will get you there? Or, do you find yourself constantly distracted and focusing on other things? Having goals for yourself is great, but they don’t mean anything if you can’t focus enough to do the work and do what you must to achieve them. So, what’s distracting you? Whatever it is, here are five ways to eliminate distractions from your life so that you can focus on what’s important and be more productive.

The Truth About Distractions

Distractions can be defined as anything that prevents you from giving your full, undivided attention to something else. Distractions happen when you’re not crystal clear on what is important. In fact, being distracted is really a mindset thing, if nothing else. I know most people would say that distractions are attributed to social media, television, etc. But it all starts with our minds. Yes, some distractions can be good, especially in times of hardship or heartbreak. But others can be bad, and these distractions can have negative consequences in our lives or productivity. For the sake of this post, I’ll be focusing on bad distractions.

I get  it, we live in a society of connectivity now. Everything is literally at our fingertips at anytime. We’re constantly faced with the temptation to fall down the rabbit hole of unlimited information, or things to do that’s present to us. The thing is, we’re only hurting ourselves. Being distracted can lead to unnecessary confusion and stress. Why would you want that?

How to Eliminate Distractions From Your Life

Get Your Priorities in Order

Life is never going to stop coming at you, and distractions will always be present. In order to stay focused, you need to get clear on what you goals are and what’s important to you. In my post “How to Get Your Priorities in Order with  Steps” I discuss the importance of getting clear on the things you want for yourself. Doing so gives you a purpose, your “why”. When you achieve clarity, it’s much easier to roll up your sleeves and get focused on meeting your goals, and falling victim to distractions won’t happen as often.

Identify Your Triggers

What are the things that make your mind wonder or make lose your focus? When you know what is distracting you, you can start to change your environment or behaviors to avoid them.  Take time to identify them so that you can either minimize or eliminate them completely. Triggers can be both internal or external.

Focus on One Thing at a Time

I know many of you may pride yourself on your ability to multi-task. Honestly, I used to do the same thing. Then I realized I felt like I was always running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Multi-tasking actually can serve as a distraction. (Think – productive or busy). Multi-tasking isn’t some special skill that you we’re blessed with or something to brag about. In fact, research shows that multi-tasking has a negative impact on your performance and it’s actually pretty harmful to your brain and IQ.

Are you ready to ditch those distractions and take your life into your hands? You have the power to do so!

Love my post? Please share it!

20 Comments

Nailil
    May 23, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Social Media is truly a gift and a curse. What I hate about it the most is that people make quick assumptions. My accounts for instance are a place of happiness and positivity. That’s not to say that all aspect of my life are perfect. Yet, some can be offended by this and see this as fake or unauthentic.

Tiffany Yong
    February 10, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Invest in myself is something I live by too! Being bombarded by living standards on social media got me really depressed and this made me grumpy and unhappy with my life. I start trying to be who I am not, and it becomes a vicious cycle,

Ramona Spires
    January 21, 2018 at 9:05 pm

I totally agree focus, invest, and be true to yourself. When you just focus on yourself and your own journey you will be better for it.

Melinda Gale
    January 18, 2018 at 2:10 pm

Girl! You are speaking my language. I had a basic breakdown at the end of December because I was comparing my life/holiday to everyone elses. I gave up Instagram for the month of January and it was the best decision I could have made. I have been able to focus on myself, not worry about "likes", not worry about what everyone else is doing — staying in my lane!

Luci
    January 14, 2018 at 6:31 pm

I totally agree with you. I grew up with the mantra, make your own path. Don’t follow the crowds because you might not know where they are going. Its okay not to fit in.

Monique Elise
      January 15, 2018 at 8:49 pm

So glad you agree! Thanks for reading xoxo

January 13, 2018 at 12:17 pm

What a great post. Staying in your life is such an important things to do. We need to stay focused, go after dreams and keep moving towards your goals. and live life to the fullest because it only happens once.

Monique Elise
      January 15, 2018 at 8:49 pm

AMEN to that!

Shubhada Bhide
    January 13, 2018 at 9:37 am

This is such a great post to read. Staying in your life is so important. Stop getting distracted by things that have nothing to do with our goals. Live life to the fullest!!

Monique Elise
      January 15, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Yasssss girl! Thank you for stopping by!

Beola Lawal
    January 13, 2018 at 4:57 am

Awesome post, I agree 100%. Stay in your lane, live your life and always be yourself.

Monique Elise
      January 15, 2018 at 8:50 pm

In that order! Thanks love!

Tanvi Rastogi
    January 12, 2018 at 2:32 pm

I relate to your post so much as that’s exactly how I think and feel too … people need to focus on their own growth and improvements and not compare or compete with others.

Social Media is definitely a gift and a curse at the same time.

Monique Elise
      January 15, 2018 at 8:51 pm

100% agree! Glad you could relate!

Mercy
    January 12, 2018 at 9:11 am

have always thought I was alone, on bad days scrolling through social media is one of the worst things you can do, you can feel like you are a failure comparing yourself to others, I guess we need to constantly remind ourselves that we are unique

Monique Elise
      January 15, 2018 at 8:52 pm

Mercy trust me – you’re not!! Best you can do is stay true to yourself! That will never go out of style!

Takeara
    January 11, 2018 at 5:35 pm

This is really great. I feel like social media has definitely contributed to people comparing themselves. My mom always said that we don’t know about people’s real life from a picture and that’s so true. We don’t know what people had to go through to get what they have. Like you said, my journey is my own! Great post!

Monique Elise
      January 15, 2018 at 8:52 pm

Your mom is so right! Glad you liked it!

Courtney
    January 11, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Girl you have NO idea how on time this is! I am literally in the works of creating a blog post similar to this! I just texted my best friend 5 minutes ago “why do I feel like I’m not doing enough?” 😓 life is crazy, but we complicate it more by trying to compare and “keep up” with ppl that are quite possibly BEHIND us. Man, this hit so many chords. Great post, great post.
    Xo,
    Consuella

Monique Elise
      January 15, 2018 at 8:53 pm

I can’t wait to read your post! We really need to give ourselves
      some credit!