Lifestyle

Take a Chill Pill…

Am I the only person that catches themselves rolling their eyes when they see others bragging about working while we’ve all been asleep? I don’t know about you, but I need my eight hours each night. And I don’t think I should be made to feel bad for doing so. Between working a full-time job, managing my blog, and being an author – a good night’s sleep keeps me sane! I work better and am much more productive when I feel well rested and have a clear head. I don’t get it, it’s like people get the side eye when they opt to relax and take a break to recharge their batteries or enjoy some leisure time. Whether it’s by taking a well-deserved vacation, or sleeping in for the day. What’s not to love about being able to kick back and chill every once in a while?

I personally live for those days when I can shut off my phone, grab my favorite ice cream and binge watch my favorite TV shows without a care in the world. Yes, I understand that we all have to work (well most of us) and earn our keep in this world. I’m sure we all can come up with a list of a million things we have to do at any given moment (taking care of the house, taking care of the kids, meeting deadlines). But where does it say that we have to run ourselves into the ground in doing so?

via GIPHY

So I have a question for you – do you work to live or live to work? Don’t worry, there’s no right or wrong answer. However I do think the answer plays a part in how you view the necessity to take a break from time to time. I myself am an avid “work to live” supporter. My life does not revolve around work and I’m an advocate for the occasional break! Don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t mean that I don’t hope to reach important milestones in my career, because I do. But I realized a long time ago, money and materialistic things did not bring me happiness (although I appreciate them). I’m here to tell you, I was not put on this earth to work tireless hours and let this beautiful thing called life pass me by. Nope, not me!

If you are on the opposite side of the spectrum, well more power to you my friend! Just proceed with caution because burnout is a very real thing. Not only is it very real, it’s actually counterproductive. For those of you that don’t know, burnout is defined as “the physical or mental collapse caused by overwork or stress”.  When you experience burnout you can become sick, unmotivated, or your job performance can suffer. Just remember that balance is key. So if you feel yourself becoming overworked or simply spread too thin, take a moment to listen to your body and set aside some time to relax. I promise you, it won’t be the end of the world and you actually are giving yourself a chance to reenergize, refocus, and come back to work in full swing.

Get your copy of Get your copy of “Dilemmas Of a Damsel” here

Here are some things you can do to give yourself a break…

1.    Self-care

Treat yourself to a nice, hot, long bath! Turn on your favorite tunes, pour yourself a glass of wine and relax. Trust me, your body will thank you for it.

2.    Sightsee

Go to a park, take a walk, or go for a relaxing drive. Just don’t think about work! Allow yourself to live in and enjoy the moment!

3.    Read

Reading can be an escape in itself and also therapeutic! There’s nothing like getting lost in a good book ( cough – Dilemmas Of a Damsel) or even movie for that matter! Kick back and enjoy!

4.    Or simply do nothing…

And that is ok! Like I told you before, I do it from time to time. Sometimes those lazy days are necessary. Give yourself a chance to catch up on all the sleep you’ve been missing.

Toni
    November 16, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Very good post. You see it all the time, especially on social media. People make it seem as though you have to sacrifice health and sleep to be successful; not true. Sure, there will be times those things are sacrificed, but it’s OKAY to rest (as you stated)…!

Great tips and motivational nuggets of information!

November 16, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Hi Toni! Isn’t it annoying?! Thanks for stopping by! xoxo

Tisha
    November 17, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Currently doing nothing and loving it- it was much needed lol! Great post as always!

November 29, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Haha! I hope you enjoyed it! Thanks doll!

Michelle
    November 17, 2017 at 5:11 pm

For a lot of people it’s a badge of honor to brag about how hard and hard many hours they work. I’m like you, I work very hard but I need my sleep and downtime,

November 29, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Yup exactly! I need a break every so often! I work better!

chris
    November 17, 2017 at 7:28 pm

I agree, you need to take time for yourself, if I didn’t I would certainly lose it as I have come close. Reading, meditation, and just taking a walk helps me. Great post!!

November 29, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Hi Chris, thanks for stopping by! I’m still working on the meditation part lol

Tayja
    November 21, 2017 at 2:42 pm

I love this and it’s so true! We shouldn’t have to justify taking a break or relaxing (especially when we work unbelievably hard). We all need a little down time in our life.

November 29, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Hi Tayja! EXACTLY!! Thanks for reading!

Crystal Nicole
    November 21, 2017 at 4:24 pm

This is spot on! Taking a break and taking care of yourself is essential!

November 29, 2017 at 4:17 pm

AMEN!

xoxo

Ellen
    November 27, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Awesome post! Sometimes I work hard without breaks and it’s exhausting. I really needed this reminder to just chill :’)

November 29, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Yes it is so important! Take care of yourself first! Thanks for stopping by!

Oma N.
    November 28, 2017 at 3:39 am

Great tips! Self-care is so important.

November 29, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Oma!

meaghan
    November 28, 2017 at 5:31 pm

AMEN!! I used to be on the work like crazy end of the spectrum. And it did lead to burnout, plus alot of unmet expectations of what life would be like if I just kept working harder and proved to everyone how dedicated I was. Now, by the grace of God alone, I have been able to about face and change my perspective completely. I believe we were put on this Earth to work, and that we each have a special gift to offer. But like you, I believe that if we overwork that gift gets lost in the shuffle and the world never gets to see the light you have to offer! So rest. Nap. Take care of yourself! Thanks for sharing!

November 29, 2017 at 4:18 pm

AMEN Meaghan! So glad you were able to overcome that! xoxo

Yen (GlossyCover)
    November 28, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Yes, I subscribe to the "work to live" mantra. Occasional breaks for self-care is so important. I support your "do nothing" 100%. LOL

November 29, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Haha! Thanks girl!

taylor
    November 28, 2017 at 10:25 pm

I do agree we all need those moments to hang around and enjoy some relaxation, but I believe the majority of successful people are ones who wake up early and are highly productive.

November 29, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Hi Taylor, I think there is a difference between being productive and running yourself into the ground. Like I love Gary Vee he is a major BOSS and someone I admire, he’s literally taking over the world (IMO lol) he wakes up, busts his butt and works and even calls himself a workaholic, with all of that he still takes 7week long vacations to recharge. Thanks for stopping by!

AmberLynn
    November 29, 2017 at 2:38 am

I am a "work to live" kind of girl. I, too, need my 7-8 hours of sleep per night, and I feel no sense of care about the others who brag about working 24 hours. My anxiety intensifies if I don’t take time to decompress and step away from work, school, my blog, or whatever else is going on in my life. I do all four of what you suggested to give myself a break. Wonderful post!

November 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Hey love! Thanks for stopping by! So glad you liked my post <3

Kelly
    December 7, 2017 at 2:43 pm

I think that everyone should do what works for them without letting everyone know their moves. People need to be much more focused on themselves, as opposed to what others are doing or letting people know that they are doing something that "everyone else" is not. I do a few of these to give myself a break- great suggestions! Have a great day!

December 17, 2017 at 9:53 pm